Updated: May 19
Over the years I have asked people this simple question. "What is one of the most important things you want in life?" The answer is usually the same. They tell me that they want to be happy. That's a wonderful thing to desire, however most people aren't sure how to attain it. Do you know that it is proven that you can rewire your brain to be happy by simply recalling gratitude every day for 30 days. This simple practice can change everything! Unfortunately, most of us get too busy to actually make it part of our daily routine.
Each day we all have an amazing opportunity right in front of us. The questions is, will you seize the opportunity or will you let it pass you by? Why do some people take advantage of these opportunities and others don't? I'll tell you why....it's all based on our level of awareness and how intentional we are in our daily life.
There is a saying that I want to share. I believe this thought can reveal why keeping a right mindset of gratitude in place in your life is so important. What you think is what you FEEL! What you feel is what you SAY! What you say is what you DO!
So if you are ready to see BIG change in your life with a simple gratitude practice, then let's get started!
The first step is for you to know your WHY! Everyone's why is different, but here are some examples of a few to get you thinking of your WHY.
1. Simple gratitude can bring about big results. (personally, professionally, spiritually and within your relationships)
2. Helps you to focus on the positive things in your life instead of the negative.
3. Helps with mental health. (Keeps your mindset focused and healthy)
4. Reduces aggression and anxiety.
5. Improves your self-esteem
6. Helps you to learn to praise God.
7. Keeps you aware of the simple things that are most important in life.
8. Brings joy and peace in your life.
9. Attracts like-minded grateful positive people to you.
10. Helps put life in proper perspective.
HOW TO GET STARTED
First I want to encourage you if you don't have a fancy journal, not a problem, you can use a (notebook, spiral, composition book, etc.) Don't stress, the journal doesn't have to be anything special just something that works for you. However, if you want a specific journal you can buy a gratitude journal online or at Wal-mart, Target, even the Dollar store. However, it is not necessary.
Each day (I like to do this in the morning) write the date at the top of the page. This will allow you to look back and reflect. At the top of the page write the title "Today I am Grateful for!" Under the title, number the page from 1-5. Begin by taking a moment to be still and quiet and think about those things that you are thankful for today.
Don't overthink it! I know that you are thankful for those obvious things like family, home, car, children, etc. Those are all great places to start, however don't repeat those things each day. Look for those simple things that you can easily take for granted or overlook. Stretch yourself to write things that have happened over the last twenty four hours. Make sure to try and write new things everyday!
Here is an Example:
Today I Am Grateful for!
1. My good health and the well-being of my family.
2. An evening meal with lots of talking and laughing with my spouse and kids.
3. Food in the pantry when others are waking up with none.
4. A soft bed to get a good nights sleep.
5. My child crawling in my bed and snuggling up with me in the middle of night.
Let me assure you that something so amazing will happen in you when you begin to look for things to be grateful for each day. Once you get in a conscience search, you will find yourself looking for it daily! I think that is a great way to live life. What about you?
Do this for 30 days (it takes at least 21 days to form a habit) and watch what happens! Your life will never be the same! You will see such a change and others will notice too! Twenty one days of simple Gratitude will change EVERYTHING!
I will praise you, LORD, with all my heart; I will tell of all the marvelous
things you have done. Psalm 9:1